Since its inception L’Occitane has “nurtured simple values: authenticity, respect, sensoriality and continual improvement.” According to the website, “all of [their] actions are guided by a twofold desire: to preserve and pass on.” Sustainable practices at L’Occitane include the following:
- natural formulas using ingredients respectful of the environment
- organic formulas, when possible
- easy and eco-conceived packs with FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) cardboard-based packaging, a label which guarantees long-lasting exploited forests
L’Occitane is most well-known for their organic shea butter products. Shea butter, also known as “women’s gold” in the Burkina Faso region, is an amazing natural moisturizer that leaves the skin feeling soft and supple. L’Occitane sources the ingredient directly from the women’s cooperatives in Africa to bring pure Shea Butter into their beauty product line. Here are a few of my favorite L’Occitane products:
I also adore their calming lavender line which is exclusively sourced from from farmers’ cooperatives in Plateau de Sault in Haute-Provence, capturing the spirit of Provence.
Melvita, L’Occitane’s sister company, was one of the first companies in the world to earn the ECOCert certificate for organic products, making them the global trendsetter for natural organic beauty products. Melvita is by far one of the most “green” companies in the industry. Their philosophy includes the following:
- favoring the use of the finest ingredients from organically farmed and responsibly harvested sources, with respect of nature being a priority
- protesting against the pointlessness and cruelty of testing on animals
- ensuring that packaging materials are completely recyclable
- being actively involved in an approach to sustainable development with preservation of environmental: beauty, biodiversity and balance
- making every effort to promote ethical, humane and fair-trade partnerships
Here are a few of my personal favorite Melvita products:
Fondant Body Balm, $28
Argan Oil, $24
Go shop green today in honor of Mother Earth!